BENADRYL® Itch Stopping Gel Extra Strength
- bvseo_sdk, p_sdk, 3.2.0
- CLOUD, getAggregateRating, 2.15ms
- REVIEWS, PRODUCT
- bvseo-msg: HTTP status code of 404 was returned; HTTP status code of 404 was returned;
Where to Buy
The product is not meant to be ingested.
Get extra strength itch relief from BENADRYL® with this antihistamine gel. Apply this soothing gel to your rash or insect bite and stop the itching.
Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 2%
SD alcohol 38-B, camphor, citric acid, diazolidinyl urea, glycerin, hypromellose, methylparaben, propylene glycol, propylparaben, purified water, and sodium citrate
Do not use more than directed.
Adults and children 2 years of age and older:
- Apply to affected area not more than 3 to 4 times daily
Children under 2 years of age:
- Ask a doctor
Store at 20° to 25° C (68° to 77° F)
Temporarily relieves pain and itching associated with:
- Insect bites
- Minor burns
- Minor skin irritations
- Minor cuts
- Rashes due to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
For external use only.
Do not use
- On large areas of the body
- With any other product containing diphenhydramine, even one taken by mouth
Ask a doctor before use
- On chicken pox
- On measles
When using this product
- Avoid contact with eyes
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- Condition worsens
- Symptoms persist for more than 7 days or clear up and occur again within a few days
Keep out of reach of children.
If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. (1-800-222-1222)
This website contains current product information and may differ from the information on the product packaging you may have. If you have any questions, please contact the Consumer Care Center (CCC) at 1-877-717-2824.
Use only as directed. Do not use more than one BENADRYL® diphenhydramine product during the same time.
Can the BENADRYL® Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel be ingested?
No. All the BENADRYL® Topical Anti-Itch products are topical products and should not be ingested.
Swallowing an over-the-counter medication meant to be rubbed on the skin can have harmful effects, warns the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Although there are other over-the-counter liquid BENADRYL®products intended to be swallowed, BENADRYL® Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel is NOT one of them. It is a topical product meant for use only on the skin.
BENADRYL® Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel is safe and effective when used on the skin as directed. People who swallow it can receive dangerously large amounts of the active ingredient, diphenhydramine hydrochloride. To help consumers recognize that BENADRYL® Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel is meant for use on the skin, McNEIL-PPC, Inc. has:
- Changed the product label to add a new, prominent statement: "For Skin Use Only"
- Attached a sticker to the cap of the product that says "For Skin Use Only"
- Initiated consumer studies to better understand factors that may contribute to consumers mistakenly swallowing BENADRYL® Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel